Timeline (1902 - Present)
1902 - Catholic mission in Newman established from St. Stanislaus, Modesto
1916 - Crows Landing mission (Immaculate Heart of Mary) established from Newman. The first Mass celebrated in Patterson is in a new drug story. The plot of land at 1 & Salado Streets is acquired by San Francisco Archdiocese from Patterson Ranch Company.
1917 - First Sacred Heart church (Fr. Connors Hall) built on the location of current church was administered from Newman by Spanish Claretian Fr. Emeterio de Diego, CMF.
1925 - Sacred Heart established as an autonomous parish with attachment of Immaculate Heart of Mary Mission, Crows Landing. Portuguese born Fr. Julio Martins is named the first resident pastor.
1944 - Pastor, Fr. Manuel Rose begins collection for new church.
1949 - New church dedicated, pastor Fr. Joseph Lima, oversees the construction of the rectory.
1955 - Vincentian Fathers assume direction of parish in June. Fr. James Connors, CM replaces Fr. John Dermody as pastor.
1962 - Parish school established under leadership of pastor, Fr. Harold Beutler, CM with the administration by the Mission San Hose Dominican Sisters. Sr. Bonaventure Fritz, OP is the school’s first principal.
1967 - Pastor, Fr. Edward Whooley, CM set into motion establishment of Guadalupe Center, Westley on behalf of migrant worker families. The center opens in 1968.
1968 - Under direction of pastor Fr. Charles Cannon, CM, new living quarters for clergy and Bonaventure Hall are built in memory of Sr. Bonaventure (d. ’67).
1972 - Due to departure of Dominican sisters and rising costs, Sacred Heart School closes.
1976 - During 2nd pastorate of Fr. James Connors, CM the Daughters of the Holy Spirit arrive and become involved in various parish ministries.
1983 - Sacred Heart School reopens, Fr. Thomas Cargo, CM pastor.
2005 - Celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the arrival of the Vincentian Community.