History of Sacred Heart Church, A Vincentian Community

1902

The Catholic mission in Newman is established from St. Stanislaus, Modesto.

1916

The Crows Landing mission (Immaculate Heart of Mary) is established from Newman.  The first Mass celebrated in Patterson is in a drug store.  The plot of land at “I” and Salado Streets is acquired by the San Francisco Archdiocese from the Patterson Ranch Company.

1917

The first Sacred Heart Church (Fr. Connors Hall) is built on the location of the current church and administered from Newman by Spanish Claretian, Fr. Emeterio de Diego, CMF.

1925

Sacred Heart is established as an autonomous parish with attachment of Immaculate Heart of Mary Mission in Crows Landing.  Portuguese born Fr. Julio Martins is named the first resident pastor.

1944

Pastor, Fr. Manuel Rose, begins collection for the new church.

1949

New church dedicated, Pastor, Fr. Joseph Lima, oversees the construction of the rectory.

1955

Vincentian Fathers assume the direction of the parish in June.  Fr. James Connors, CM replaces Fr. John Dermody as pastor.

1962

The parish school is established under the leadership of Pastor, Fr. Harold Beutler, CM with the administration by the Mission San Jose Dominican Sisters.  Sr. Bonaventure Fritz, OP is the school’s first principal.

1967

Pastor, Fr. Edward Whooley, CM sets into motion establishment of Guadalupe Center in Westley on behalf of migrant worker families.  The center opens in 1968.

1969

Under the direction of pastor, Fr. Charles Cannon, CM, new living quarters for clergy and Bonaventure Hall are built in memory of Sr. Bonaventure (d. ’67).

1972

Due to departure of Dominican sisters and rising costs, Sacred Heart School closes.

1976

During 2nd pastorate of Fr. James Connors, CM the Daughters of the Holy spirit arrive and become involved in various parish ministries.

1983

Sacred Heart School reopens, Fr. Thomas Cargo, CM pastor.

2005

Celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the arrival of the Vincentian Community.

immaculate-heart-300

Immaculate Heart of Mary, Crows Landing Mission

fr-connors-hall-300

Father Connors Hall, First Sacred Heart Church

Guadalupe Center in Westley

sacred-heart-church-300

Sacred Heart Church, Patterson, CA